Thursday, February 4, 2010

wedding headpiece??

I'm getting married next year - a year from tomorrow, in fact!  I haven't even BEGUN the giant task of finding "the" dress, but I know that I'd like to knit something that I'll wear on the big day.  Knitting and wedding attire don't seem to really go together, from what I've seen.  If I was a lace maker or a Sworovski crystal beader, I'd be in business!  To make it even more of a conundrum, I'm getting married on the beach, in Aruba.  Not exactly the climate for cozy woolen accessories.  I haven't envisioned myself with a veil, but I've been toying with the idea of knitting a cool, lacy headpiece. Nothing big and extravagant.  Just a little guy.  I'm not sure it is going to work, but I'm starting to knit up some swatches to see where it takes me. 

So far I've come up with this:


Up closer:


And if it was gathered a little:


This yarn is much too fuzzy.  The swatch is only about as big as maybe 5" x 5" right now.  I just wanted to see how I liked the design.  The stitch is called "fern lace" and goes something like this:

(over a multiple of 9 + 4)
Row 1: Purl.
Row 2 (right side): K3, *YO, K2, sl 1, K1, psso, K2tog, K2, YO, K1; rep from * to last stitch, K1.
Row 3: Purl.
Row 4: K2, *YO, K2, sl 1, K1, psso, K2tog, K2, YO, K1; rep from * to last 2 stitches, K2
Repeat these 4 rows.

Would make a nice scarf or shawl, too!  I like yarn-overs.  And I LOVE to K2tog.

No comments: