Wednesday, February 3, 2010

cast on!

hi!

I really, really love to knit. Sometimes I say it out loud and I laugh at how dorky it sounds! And unless you've done it before, you'd probably agree. And that's okay. I'm over it. Everyone has their "thing". Maybe it's cooking, writing poetry, buying designer jeans half price, drinking dirty martinis...something that really revs them up. Makes them feel warm and fuzzy inside. Gives them something to look forward to at the end of the day. Keeps their life in perspective when things get out of wack. A few lucky people even get to spend all day devoted to this yummy endeavor. I hope some day I can be one of those people. I would knit all day if I could. Until my little knobby white fingers turned blue.

For now though, I need to keep my day job! It fulfills me in an intellectual and philanthropic sort of way and is the end result of a goal that I set out to achieve a very long time ago. But it leaves the right side of my brain a bit neglected, and there's nothing better than coming home, (kissing my soon-to-be hubby), and indulging in the colors, textures, and challenges of two bamboo needles (sometimes one circular or four double pointed) and a skein of wool (or cotton or cashmere). I really, really love to knit.

Cygknits is inspired by my last name, which has to do with a lovely type of large white bird, whose babies are called 'cygnets'. Cygnets were made famous by Hans Christian Anderson - he called them ugly ducklings. We all know what happened to the ugly little guys with a little time to grow. I like to think of creativity in the same way. Ideas start as little, ugly, confused bundles of potential, that blossom into beautiful swans with some blood, sweat, tears, patience and love.

All very cliche...I know! But true, no?

I hope you enjoy following my adventures in knitting. Let's cast on.

No comments: