Sunday, October 3, 2010

Placemats for Herringbone Interiors

One of my oldest (in the we-went-to-nursery-school-toghether sort of way...), closest friends is not only an awesome, loyal, fun-loving person, but a talented entrepreneur who has an interior design business that is getting tons of acclaim!  Her blog is here - Herringbone Interiors.  She's, like...famous!  She recently had a show at the Hampton Classic Horse Show in Binghamton, NY, and her design space came in third for the best interiors (I'm telling you, she's famous!).  She was kind enough to ask for some hand-knitted pieces to add to her decor and I was thrilled to oblige.  I thought for weeks about what to contribute - I mean, where would baby booties or a knitted cowl fit into a chic interior??  But in my search for inspiration, I stumbled on the idea of...(drum roll, please...) knitted placemats!  Consider it an 'Ah Ha' knitting moment!



I chose a washable yarn in a neutral shade that would not only funk up any table setting, but could be tossed into the washing machine when ketchup/red wine/spaghetti sauce needed removal.  I also sought out yarn at a price point that would keep the construction costs low - the pattern is made with a super bulky yarn, 2 strands held together...so these suckers use a lot of yarn.  I ended up going with Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in Oatmeal and was very happy with the outcome.   Mine are 19" x 14" - which is what was recommended by the interior-designer-extraordinaire, but can be made any size.  It is a basic seed stitch - couldn't be simpler.  Give 'em a try!


Thanks JMM!!  You are the best.

xoxo.

No comments: